SOCIAL AWARENESS WRITING PROJECT
A JOURNEY BY
JEREMY GOLDSTEIN 812
#8: Observing your Surroundings
Jeremy Goldstein
Things I’ve noticed that are
unfair:
1. Homeless person sleeping
on bench
2. Hurricane Sandy relief ads
everywhere
3. Old women being honked out
in the middle of the street
4. Smoking, smoking all
around
5. Lots of people carrying
McDonalds bags
6. Videos of child soldiers
(in ELA)
7. Cheaper foods are mostly unhealthy. Healthy food
costs a lot
8. Ads onTV feature animal
adoptions
9. Ads on radio feature fast
food places
10. Garbage cans are
overflowing with trash
If you walk into an average deli, the first thing you
might see is 100 of bottles of Arizona Iced Tea for $1. Maybe you’ll see rows
and rows of honey buns for 50 cents, or even a ginormous bag of potato chips
for a miniscule $1.50. This has to change. These foods are stacked in calories and
fats. This contributes to the obesity problem in America. You have to compare these foods to healthier
options for each. A protein shake is $3; a small bag of trail mix is $2, and a
granola bar is $2.50. When kids, especially my age, want a snack and something
to drink, they’ll choose the cheaper, unhealthier option.
There are many things wrong with having a sugar and fat
filled diet. One slightly less obvious one is that if you eat foods like this
at school, it will carry over to your whole diet. Then everything is unhealthy
for you. Also, eating foods like chips and candy isn’t just sickly, but they
also rob from the nutrients you’d get from foods like fruits or dairy. I think this
proves that the obesity problem in America isn’t only about the fast food
industry, but also cheaper unhealthy snacks.
Many things can be done to end this snacking bonanza.
Bloomberg tried to take one step by banning drink sizes over 16oz. This is
progress. I hope that the government could continue to limit the sizes of
certain drinks and potentially eliminate them. Snacks too.
#9: Interview
Me: Hi Dad good afternoon.
Dad: Oh, good afternoon.
Me: What do you do Dad?
Dad: I work on Internet video
technology for Viacom.
Me: Could you be more
specific?
Dad: I select the technology
we use to put video on our websites like mtv.com. I also work with the
government on regulations for Internet Video.
Me: Could you tell me about
your role with the CVAA act?
Dad: Sure. First off, the FCC
(Federal Communications Commission) CVAA stands for the twenty-first century
Communications and Video Accessibility Act. Many deaf people can put closed
captioning on their TV’s, but in an age with the Internet these people want
this same coverage online. Blind people also want Internet video to be audio so
they can hear it and find out important events. Imagine if you were blind and
you were watching something on TV in which someone walked into the room. How
would you know? Narrators now spread information.
Me: What if there’s emergency
information on the bottom of the screen? During Sandy there were many key
points about evacuation.
Dad: Another aspect of the
law was requiring that emergency information be accessible. Now the emergency
information has to be audio and visual.
Me: Could you tell me about
how this act was passed?
Dad: Advocacy groups teamed
up with congressmen to get a law written and get it passed. Obama strongly
supported this law and he signed it.
Me: Any other notes about the
law?
Dad: The law required that
the government, the industry, and community groups work together to work out
the details of making the law into reality.
Me: So blind and deaf people
are now happier?
Dad: Of course they’re much
happier but also safer thanks to the emergency information.
I analyzed this interview and noticed that this is a form
of discrimination. My Dad fought for their rights by helping make the law work.
Blind people and deaf people have the right to keep up with modern technology,
and using the Internet is one of the most popular hobbies of people in the
world. I’m honored to have my father as my father. Not only does he help shape
laws like these, he enjoys doing it. My father is truly a great person.
On a side note, the National Association for the Deaf
sued Netflix for not having closed captioning. In fact, on the lawsuit, the
Deaf association claimed that it was discrimination.
#11: Dramatic Scene
Scene 1
Darkness. Felipe Lopez is sitting in his room without
heat, lighting, and limited food and water in a NYCHA house in Brooklyn. It’s a
week after the superstorm hit. He’s just dialed 311 on a cell phone that been
long saved for this situation with just a sliver of battery. It has just been
snowing, and Felipe couldn’t afford a coat. He’s severely shivering.
Felipe (coughing and sneezing)
Hello… Yes, there’s no light. I’m shaking as you
say this… Yeah, yeah, I don’t really need that. I neeeed food, I neeeed water,
I neeeed electri (swallow) city. (click, hangs up)
Felipe (depressingly)
Ohhh (shakes back and forth).
Felipe rolls over on his side, only to find out that his hair is now
covered in a coat of pee.
Felipe
I don’t even care. 311 doesn’t care. Does anyone
even care?
Felipe reaches for his phone to dial 311.
311
Good afternoon, how can I be of service?
Felipe
GET ME OUT OF HERE!
311
I’m sorry. Please call again. (click)
Felipe redials.
311
Hi, my name is Martha, how can I help?
Felipe
GET ME OUT OF HERE!
311
Where are you located, sir?
Felipe
I’m trapped in a…
Felipe looks at his phone, only to realize that it’s just run out of
battery.
Felipe (mocking)
I’m sorry. Please call again.
Felipe’s eyes catch a pistol on the floor.
Felipe
Should I, or should I not?
I
got my inspiration for writing this depressing scene from an article in the
Daily News, A Living Hell in NYCHA House. In that article, Jose Reyes is
still without power in his Red Hook home, and he has osteoporosis so he can’t
even get down the 13 flights of stairs. Finally, the Daily News helped his
sisters deliver food and water all the way up the stairs to him. It made me
realize how lucky I am.
What
also gave me inspiration to write this was the fact that I took a playwriting
course in Drama last year. Mr. McEneny helped me learn a lot about not only the
format for writing plays but also good basic ideas about writing. It’s really
made writing short scenes a piece of cake.
No comments:
Post a Comment